House of Iron is a 501 (c)3 non-profit CrossFit program for girls that includes a health, wellness and life skills component. Through the mental and physical strength required to complete a crossfit type workout, these girls will learn skills related to health and wellness, as well as life skills such as confidence and self efficacy to help them succeed in life. You can find updates and more information at www.Houseofiron.org and FaceBook page.
House of Iron Mission Statement
Empowering young members to develop strength and confidence through the challenge and community of functional fitness.
- To provide members with a safe place to face challenges, explore their identity, form healthy relationships with peers and mentors, and seek support.
- To in still in members the self-efficacy to make healthy and empowered decisions, and to protect themselves as they move into adulthood.
- To empower members to identify and challenge social norms regarding gender identity and to allow them to choose which messages resonate with them.
At the completion of the program, the members will be able to:
- Analyze the relationship between health-enhancing behaviours and the ability to cope with failure.
- Contrast the characteristics of healthy and unhealthy relationships.
- Identify media and peer pressures that result in unhealthy weight control.
- Execute a goal-setting plan to enhance health behaviours.
- Implement a personal wellness plan in nutrition and fitness to enhance quality of life.
- Analyze food facts labels for nutrients such as proteins, fats, and carbohydrates.
- Generate a healthful eating plan incorporating food choices inside and outside the home setting.
- Increase fitness capacity.
- Identify unhealthy social norms and be able to choose messages that resonate with them.